Momma McGuire hospitalized

Elenore “Momma” McGuire was hospitalized on Monday and given Cardiac Catheterization on her heart yesterday. They found that she has major blockage in all her arteries.  The good news is that her heart is not damaged.

So, Ele is now scheduled for Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery on Wednesday morning at 7:15am.  Things happen quickly !!!!
Dan goes on to say:

This is major surgery, but Dr. Ronald Leidenfrost (the best cardiac surgeon at the hospital) comforted us by saying that 96% of patients that receive this surgery survive and 80% have no problems at all – it just hurts for a while.  But I’m sure Ele would appreciate your prayers – just in case …..
She will be in the hospital for at least a week and then recuperate at home (or with us) for another two weeks.  The patient’s in very good spirits and just wants to get it over with.  She has already purchased her airline ticket to San Diego to visit Don on his 60th Birthday on February 28 – and wants to be back in good shape as soon as possible.
Following surgery tomorrow morning, Ele will be in the Intensive Care Unit for at least the rest of the day. I’ll let you know when she is moved to a regular room with a telephone and allowed to have visitors.
Pray for us all – I’ll keep you posted.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.
Update:  Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008, 12:33 pm
Brother Dan writes: Just talked with the doctor – the four-hour operation went very well.  She had SIX by-passes.  More later when I find out what room she will be in for the next several days.   Thanks for all your parayers & good wishes.  It looks like they worked.
Update: Thursday, Dec. 4, 2008, 8:30 am

Dan writes: 

I just talked with the ICU nurse and Mom – all is well (7:00am).  They took Ele off the ventilator about midnight and as the nurse told me – she hasn’t stopped talking since!
Estimates are that she will stay in the ICU today and then spend a day in the “Step-Down Unit” before being assigned a regular bed with a phone and visitor privileges for a week of care. Just be patient and I’ll keep you posted when you can call and/or visit her. 
If you want to send her a card now, send it to me at Westminster.  You can also send her a direct email if you want.  They are printed out and delivered to her in the ICU.  Just click this link and fill in the blanks:
More later – Thanks for your prayers and good wishes.

Update:  Friday, Dec. 5, 2008, 12:10 am
Thursday was another good day.  Ele was moved from the ICU to the Cardiac Care floor and will remain there for the duration of her stay.  She has a room mate now, but also a private phone. (Room 6703 / (314) 542- 4750)
Ele continues to progress very well, but the doctor still won’t let her eat.  Maybe Friday. 
She is not comfortable, but only has a little pain if she lies quietly.  Ele’s truly doing great even though she now talks like Minnie Mouse as a result of the trachea tube during surgery and the ICU.  Pray that her former voice returns real soon.   
She will probably be in the hospital for another week so there is plenty of time for a visit.  In lieu of a visit, give her a call or send her a hospital email card – She really gets a kick out of them. 
Brother Don is trying to catch a flight to St. Louis so he can see his Mother this weekend. 

That’s about all for now.  Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming – It appears they worked. All is well so you provably won’t be hearing from me for a few days.
Update:  Wednesday, Dec. 10, 2008, 12:45 am
Dan writes:

Hi everyone – today was a good day, but a very busy one!  All of the tubes and drains were removed from Ele’s chest and she was promptly moved from St. Luke’s Hospital to Surrey Place, a skilled nursing facility near the main hospital complex for short-term rehabilitation over the next one to two weeks. 
There are no set visiting hours at Surrey Place, but we’ve been told Ele will be kept busy with physical therapy at various periods each day (except Sunday) until about 4:00pm. She is sharing a room with another patient.  All residents eat in the main dining room with breakfast served at 7:00am, lunch at 11:00am and dinner at 4:30pm.  So plan your visits accordingly.
Ele is doing better each day, but she was very tired after all the action today and hopes she can “just rest this evening and night” without a “bunch of nurses bothering her.” 
All in all – things look well.  Brother Don remains in town until Saturday morning and has been a great comfort to his mother and a great help to us.
Thanks for all your cards, prayers and good wishes – please keep them coming. 
Her temporary address:
Elenore McGuire
Room C5-2
St. Luke’s Surrey Place
14701 Olive Blvd.
Chesterfield, MO 63017
Her room phone number: 314-542-3406

Leave a Reply or Comment...